Natural Dog Supplements – Aloe Vera Juice

This week I take a look at another supplement promoted by some websites as a way to make your dog “healthier.” Much like other supplements, it seems the advice on Aloe Vera has carried over right from the same woo peddled to humans. Is giving aloe vera juice to a dog really helpful? Is there any harm in doing so? Let’s take a quick look.

In Humans

Aloe juice has been sold as an alternative therapy for humans for many years. Certainly a majority of people can attest to the nice cool feeling one gets when applying the aloe gel on sunburned skin. When looking at these benefits more scientifically, the results seem mixed at best.

Mayo Clinic has a graded list on the evidence for both topical and internal treatments using aloe. The World Health Organization also has a section on medicinal plants which includes aloe. Evidence in any cases seems limited, but if there is any consistent message, it is that aloe seems effective in treating minor burns, skin abrasions, dry skin, and even seborrheic dermatitis. Although anecdotal, I personally use aloe as my hair gel because it does not irritate my skin like other products, thus reducing dermatitis on my scalp. In any case, the NIH states in their National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) center that, “Use of topical aloe vera is not associated with significant side effects.”

For taking aloe internally, the evidence is much less certain. Even the NCCAM, which is a group formed at the NIH as a result of lobbying by groups that support these mostly unscientific treatments, doesn’t recommend taking aloe orally. Although it was at one time used and even sold over-the-counter as a treatment for constipation, the FDA had the treatments removed as safety data was not available. For treatment of radiation burns, evidence from early studies nearly 80 years ago showed some promise, but follow-up has not shown this to be true. Aloe also shows some promise in treating some cancers, and even has some biological plausibility because the primary sugar in aloe, “…can bind to the growth factor receptors on the surface of the fibroblasts and thereby enhance their activity.” But, other studies show cancer activity can be increased by ingestion of aloe. From the NCCAM:

A 2-year National Toxicology Program (NTP) study on oral consumption of non-decolorized whole leaf extract of aloe vera found clear evidence of carcinogenic activity in male and female rats, based on tumors of the large intestine. According to the NTP, from what is known right now there is nothing that would lead them to believe that these findings are not relevant to humans. However, more information, including how individuals use different types of aloe vera products, is needed to determine the potential risks to humans.

Because of its laxative properties, aloe can bring on diarrhea and abdominal cramps. Some preliminary evidence suggests aloe can lower blood sugar, which can be dangerous for those already treating their blood sugar with medication.

Overall, the evidence in humans is that aloe is mostly harmless topically. In fact, that seems to be where plausible benefits take place, and evidence points to a mild effect in abrasions and burns. Taking aloe orally has much more potential for harm, and has little benefit.

In Dogs

Promoters of using aloe for dogs use either this exact language or something very close:

…contains amino acids, folate, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, zinc, vitamin A, C and E. It has anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-allergy agents and is an anti-oxidant. 100% pure Aloe Vera juice can also be taken internally to boost the immune system, help reduce the symptoms of allergies and to help the healing of wounds. Aloe Vera gel can be used topically to help wounds heal – 100% Aloe Vera Gel is best.

While the nutrient content is true, the amounts that would be obtained in the doses suggested by these “natural” websites would be a drop in the bucket as compared to a dog’s normal diet of dog food. The next statement about its anti-everything properties is a nice standard woo statement made with no evidence. Boosting your immune system is another woo statement and has been covered by Skeptoid. While biologically it may make sense to use aloe topically on a dog as evidence in humans points to a mild effect, there hasn’t been studies on dogs I could find, and keeping a dog from ingesting anything on their fur is a difficult proposition.

The ASPCA lists aloe as toxic to dogs and cats, with symptoms listed as: “Vomiting, depression, diarrhea, anorexia, tremors, change in urine color.” Similarly, the Pet Poison Helpline lists aloe as a mild to moderate toxicity with similar symptoms as the ASPCA. The helpline goes further to explain how the toxicity works:

Aloes contain anthraquinone glycosides which are purgatives (medications that encourage bowel movements). When ingested, these glycosides are metabolized by intestinal bacteria forming compounds that increase mucus production and water in the colon. This can result in vomiting and diarrhea. Other clinical signs seen with aloe vera ingestion include depression, anorexia, changes in urine color, and rarely, tremors.

It would seem the anti-bacterial properties are not true at all, but instead the aloe actually feeds bacteria. Mucus is typically a sign of some sort of inflammation. Thus aloe is not doing what is claimed by promoters, but instead doing the opposite.

The website “Can I Give My Dog…?” takes a non-confrontational approach to their description of aloe. While stating small amounts are probably OK, they recommend being consistent, using small amounts, and observing the dog carefully for changes. They do conclude:

You should really resist the urge to give your dog all of these extra bells and whistles, and just keep it simple. Unless there is a pressing reason for wanting to give them things like aloe vera juice, you should just stick to the basics. Your dog is happy as can be just having the same dog food and water every day, and tinkering with this only adds inconsistency to their diet, and potentially has side effects that negate any benefits.

One other treatment some vets actually prescribe is for dogs with certain cancers. One small study seemed to show some benefit with certain cancers in dogs. However, much like the human studies, the evidence is limited, and the results have yet to be repeated. In the case of cancer for dogs, I suppose it is something to try, especially when the prognosis is poor and traditional treatments are not affordable or stand a low chance of working. I personally wouldn’t do it because the evidence is not strong enough, but for those that do try it, there is at least limited evidence to support that decision.

Conclusion

Drinking aloe vera juice has no benefit to dogs (or humans) which cannot be obtained in a normal, healthy diet. The possible harm far outweighs any good which is obtained. Topically, make sure to ask your vet before using aloe on your dog. Steer clear of websites telling you aloe is a good idea and important for your pet. It’s not. Instead, feed them a consistent diet of high quality food and clean, fresh water, and your dog will do just fine.

About Eric Hall

My day job is teaching physics at the University of Minnesota, Rochester. I write about physics, other sciences, politics, education, and whatever else interests or concerns me. I am always working to be rational and reasonable, and I am always willing to improve my knowledge and change my mind when presented with new evidence.
This entry was posted in Alternative Medicine, Health, Nature and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Natural Dog Supplements – Aloe Vera Juice

1. mud says:

Pets and euthanasing; Damn hard choice for any master/mistress. The dog is very capable of living for a goodly time. Rationality doesnt apply.

Rejection of stupidity does.

• Rose says:

I have a little dog keeps bringing up water when she drinks some food to she is 16 years old I need help to what I can give her to stop.

2. tkelly95 says:

I periodically give our dog aloe juice. I only use ultimate aloe, it’s the best so I know he won’t have any reaction. TK http://www.freetobemeandgreen.wordpress.com

3. leelasmith says:

You are so misguided and have just proven how ignorant you really are by this POST ( well done people like you make my job a lot easier ) !!!!!

• Eric Hall says:

Leela –

If you have evidence of a clear benefit of Aloe Vera for dogs, I will be happy to analyze them and post a followup if necessary.

• Anonymous says:

One problem with your argument is that you jump from mucus production to inflammation. This is not a valid statement as many natural/herbal supplements stimulate the production of mucus in the digestive tract and it is a protective agent against things like ulcers, chrons (which is an inflammatory bowel disorder), and many others. It is very helpful in the digestive system.

Sincerely,
        Herbal sciences student going into naturopathic Medicine.

• Eric Hall says:

You are correct. In the context, I meant the excess mucus production being a sign of inflammation.

As an aside…to paraphrase Dr. Novella – if naturopathic medicine had evidence it worked – it would simply be called medicine (no modifier).

• Anonymous says:

Or, if Eric was using his thinking skills, he might see that the term naturopathic is used to distinguish this important branch of medicine from conventional medicine, which is based on chemical alterations of the human systems.

• thomas says:

there is evidence that naturopathic medicine works but since there is no profit to be made for the established pharma monopoly they don’t sponsor test, don’t publish literature and try to demote it. additionally, natural remedies are not as aggressive as synthetic ones and therefore don’t work as fast. people are by nature impatient and want the fastest solution. so naturally naturopathetic medicines don’t stand a chance in the competition.

• Noah Dillon says:

It’s funny, then, that naturopaths and the products that they sell is a highly profitable business.

Nonprofit institutions often do scientific testing of various kinds, so it’s funny that none of them has ever turned up evidence of efficacy for many naturopathic treatments.

The other thing is that if you talk to a doctor about, say, weight loss, heart health, depression, pain, and so on, they’ll usually tell people that the best thing to do has slow results with no profit: don’t smoke, drink in moderation if at all, get exercise, eat a healthy diet, stay hydrated, sleep decently, and so on. Why are naturopaths trying to recommend treatments with no scientific evidence and high price tags, when they could just recommend being healthy? It seems like naturopaths are basically just a mirror of the drug industry except without any kind of evidentiary support.

• K.J says:

I totally agree Anonymous. I do not really appreciate this website and what it says because one, I do not agree with anything that the FDA does or says with documentaries I have seen and things I have studied. Also, my mom and brother are living proof that Aloe Vera is 100% safe and very affective. It saved my mom’s life due to adhesions she had in her stomach and saved my brother from terrible pain and suffering because of his Crohn’s Disease. I have also talked to some elderly people in a grocery store that was buying 100% Aloe Vera Juice and they said it has worked wonders for their arthritis. Mom and I asked if they just rub it on their joints but they drink it also. The FDA does not want us to be healthy… simple as that! If we find out all these wonderful natural cures, it would put some people out of business, or not as much business and that’s why they have to lie to us. Glad to know that Eric is possibly open minded to this situation. The evidence in this case is definitely evident in my family who have been using aloe for years and has saved my mom and brother’s life. I don’t think anyone should need more evidence than that. There are natural things on this earth for a reason and that is to heal people way back when we didn’t have all these stupid drugs.

• All I know is a friend suggested it to me for pain and inflammation. She said it just made her feel better all over. She mentioned some other things to about it, but was most interested in the inflammation part. She said the best was from a certain company and that’s where I got it from. I started on 2 oz.’s, 2 x a day…I’ve been on it 2 weeks, and the inflammation part, I don’t know about, yet cause I pulled a muscle and had to take more Ibuprofen anyway…but I’ll tell you this, within a couple days, I found myself not taking my everyday zantac…and believe me I had indigestion everyday bad…I haven’t had to take zantac for 2 weeks now…I’m going to continue the Aloe Vera Juice, just for that reason, if it can get me off just one pill a day I would be happy…and I will continue to keep trying things to get off the damn ibuprofen, hopefully someday. Ibuprofen effects my kidneys and I don’t want that. If the Aloe Vera doesn’t help eventually with the inflammation, I will look for the next best natural thing, I want to get off all this chemical stuff that’s gonna end up killing me anyway. Thanks K. J

• Eric Hall says:

Holly –

I’m glad you are finding relief. But let me point out the flaws in your methodology as to why the aloe is likely not the cause of the improvement.

First is your ailment being described as indigestion. Indigestion is basically a description of your symptoms and not a description of the cause, since the symptoms can have a number of causes. You describe taking alot of ibuprofen – known to cause digestive issues and can even be dangerous if taken long term. My doctor personally advises if needed to take any NSAID for no more than 2 weeks in a row, and to take at least 2 weeks off after the last dose. So if you are taking it for muscle pain frequently (which you seem to say you are), this could be the cause of your stomach issue. Cutting down or eliminating it could be the reason for your stomach improvement. The increased fluid intake could also be helping improve the movement of food through the digestive process.

You are also self-medicating with Zantac – which also could be causing instead of helping your indigestion. as a proton-pump inhibitor, it reduces your stomach acid production and increases the pH in your stomach. Its effectiveness can be decreased if taken long-term – as it is not supposed to be taken for more than 14 days in a row. Here again, the general rule according to my doctor is 2 weeks at a time, at least 2 weeks off, and no more than 3 times a year. Taking this long term can also affect your B12 levels – which can cause a host of muscle and neurological problems.

Overall, my impression is you haven’t been properly diagnosed for a number of bothersome conditions, and it would seem perhaps you should find a doctor you trust and get these things checked out to make sure it isn’t something serious and then get properly treated.

Finally the false dichotomy of “chemicals” only being from things that are manufactured is nonsense. All matter is made of chemicals – from water to modern pharmaceuticals. You don’t “avoid” chemicals by using something plant derived. In fact, aloe can be dangerous. The part near the surface of the leaf (the latex) can cause kidney damage. Even the inner part is not recommended for pregnant women as it can increase the chances of a miscarriage. Many plants contain dangerous chemicals, so there is no reason that because it is “natural” it makes it automatically safe. Aloe is not safe when taken internally. In small doses, it is likely not harmful to humans. It might even be helpful for certain conditions, though the studies are small in subjects and follow-ups haven’t been done. But just like most medicine, it comes with side effects and risks. You can’t assume it to be risk-free.

• mike m says:

its been told aloe is good for suppressing dogs with siesures

4. Anonymous says:

Would some one, either homoeopathic naturapathic or conventionally medical, please do the analysis and find out if Aloe Vera is toxic/poisonous to dogs. Pleeease

• Eric Hall says:

Like nearly everything – it is about dose. If you gave a dog a couple of tablespoons a day, it is likely not going to harm the dog significantly. But, being there is a risk without really any upside – I see no reason to give it to the dog. In case of accidental ingestion, check with your vet and go by their recommendation.

5. tomcem says:

aloe vera juice can cure parvo

• Eric Hall says:

Can you provide published, scientific evidence for your claim? Otherwise, I consider this advice to be sketchy at best as it seems to be recommended by “natural” vets – taking advantage of this outbreak.

From what I can tell, it appears most add aloe in very small amounts to an electrolyte solution which is used to help hydrate the dog during the illness. The amount of aloe is likely doing little or possibly causing slightly more stomach discomfort than just leaving it out. It is best to stick with the basic advice from a real, licensed vet.

6. Johanna says:

I read that aloe vera juice meant for ingested, does not contain of the aloe vera plant contains anthracene glycosides. Do tmyou gmhave same data or can you check which is correct?

7. Nikki says:

I know after putting up with chronic diarrhea after losing part of his intestines Max is finally having better bowel movements. We have tried everything the vet could come up with and caring neighbors We add a little aloe juice in water and within a couple of days I have begun to see more thick pudding puddles and some small piles of soft serve instead of .a dozen watery puddles. We are also exploring Chinese medicine to bring him back to a normal life..

• Eric Hall says:

Have you considered the idea that your dog is simply healing and it had nothing to do with the aloe?

• Lucinda Wells says:

Wow. You have an answer for everything don’t you. And sadly, you trust those who should not be trusted and your mind is ridiculously closed.

8. HANS DHURV says:

I am having Rot male and pit bull female mix puppies, one of them is suffering from Leptospirosis. i am training to do what i can do. his body is getting so much stiff. he was having the 107.1 temp. now temp is down but shivering and breathing issue is there. i was looking for the cure in homeopathic naturapathic or conventionally medical, there i found the Aloe Vera. i just tried 5 ml by injecting through mouth. I do not want to go for any conventional medicine. if there is any other cure or option kindly let me know.

• Eric Hall says:

I am not a vet – but I would highly recommend visiting one if you care about your dog.

Let me ask you – if you had a fever of 104F – would you take aloe juice or would you go see a doctor and get real medicine?

• mary says:

lepto can be cured with a simple antibiotic. Please take your dog to the vet or it will die. It is a horrible horrible death!!!!! No one deserves to die ,like this baby will die, if you do not take it to the vet. I have seen it first hand. I am begging you!!!!

9. Suzanne says:

Which species of aloe vera are you talking about here? There are over 300 after all, only 4 of which have been found to have medicinal properties. And which part of the aloe are you talking about? Yes, the outer leaf rind contains anthraquinones, or aloe latex, which is of no benefit &, as a powerful laxative, potentially harmful in long term or large doses. Small amounts of anthraquinones have been shown to be not only of great benefit but also necessary. It is only in high doses that they can be toxic. In fact, the quote that you use from the NTP study actually specifies they were only studying whole leaf aloe. However, the inner leaf gel fillet is where all the nutrients & beneficial components are found. When you eat a banana you wouldn’t eat the skin would you? Only the banana fruit inside the skin has the nutritional value. I would not use a whole leaf aloe product. I do, however, use one that is cold pressed using only the inner leaf gel which is hand filleted. Me, my dogs & my horses have used it daily for the past 4 years & I have seen many benefits for all of us. I won’t go into them all now, as they are extensive, from both a health & injury aspect. Suffice to say we are all very healthy & none have experienced any harmful side effects, only good effect. With animals, you cannot argue a placebo effect. It either works or it doesn’t! A healthy diet was not stopping one of my dogs from becoming stiff in his joints as he got older. Only after I started adding the aloe (from the inner leaf gel) did his stiffness improve dramatically & he is a much happier dog able to run around again. Aloe vera gel doesn’t cure anything, it simply provides the body with what it needs to balance & heal itself. It can effectively manage certain conditions in the majority of cases, though not all. Personally, if I have the choice of managing a health condition, long term, safely with no risk of side effects, with aloe vera gel (be aware there is a massive difference in quality & effectiveness between an aloe vera gel from the inner leaf fillet & a whole leaf aloe vera juice) or managing it with man-made synthetic drugs with many known side effects, I would choose the aloe every time! Of course, that’s just my opinion. Records go back over 4000 years documenting the extensive use of aloe in both human & animal practice. The manufacture of synthetic drugs only go back about 200 years.

• Eric Hall says:

Bleeding was also common practice a few centuries before modern medicine. So was adding lead to wine. Ancient wisdom does not automatically translate to good modern knowledge.

But if we apply the “natural” and “ancient” wisdom to this idea – do wolves and wild horses eat aloe in the wild? If not, why would we then give it to them when domesticated?

Often in the cases of applying these new “treatments” people notice improved health – but usually not due to the “treatment” but simply because better attention to health often leads to better health.

• bingo says:

Eric, you just got owned big time. You want science, Mr. Sciency man? It’s called observational data and she just gave you a first back hand slap personal account with longevity to boot in your pretentious a**. Your response was typical of a preconceived bias stance which deflects her arguments main points that adequately contested yours to the favor of validity. Take your big pharma peer reviewed papers and wipe off your d*** with it.

• Noah Dillon says:

Actually, what you’re describing in Suzanne’s comment is anecdotal and unevidenced claims riddled with confirmation bias, not observational data. She also gets some basic facts wrong about stuff. Like banana peels actually have a lot of nutritional value, more than the fruit, depending on what species and qualities you’re measuring. You wouldn’t eat them because they’re full of tannins and fiber, and are therefore really bitter and difficult to eat.

You really went over the top with all the cursing and stuff. Come on, dude. This is an educational site: if you think he’s wrong, why don’t you express a little more clearly what your evidence is. We listen to readers and correct errors all the time. Other readers also read this stuff to get informed, including the comments, and they click through links to see what each side is offering in terms of evidence. Science doesn’t work by initiating shouting matches and insulting one another’s genitals. Even adolescent boys don’t engage in the kind of self-involved, crude belligerence you’re displaying.

10. Hey Eric – ” Instead, feed them a consistent diet of high quality food and clean, fresh water, and your dog will do just fine.”…..Really? Is that your expert advice ? Cuz I DO feed my dog high quality food and clean water, and she’s NOT doing just fine…she needs HELP She has an ulcer……..PLENTY of dogs ar NOT doing “JUST FINE….hence….owners looking for supplements or natural cures……

• George Allen says:

Hi Eric, There is a big difference between a dog chewing on a whole leaf, the green part of the leaf is known to have some very strong negative properties. Probably like a lot of biologically active substances they could be useful in the right amounts for certain things. It is the clear jell that in our experience is beneficial as both a antibacterial and a wound healer. A pet rat was saved when a range of medications failed. My experience is that the commercial preparations don’t work very well. A search on http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed finds 2350 published papers of interest, some negative, but most positive as to the health uses of Aloe Vera and its near relatives.
      From a fellow skeptic

• Angelica says:

Well especially because “high quality” can mean so many different things to so many people. They think that their Purina kibble that costs a little extra is high quality when in fact, it is not. Animals are not different than people as far as having cells that need nourishment to thrive. in America we’re bombarded with convenience with packaged and processed foods, with substances that don’t feed our cells correctly. THAT is scientific. We are all so nutrient deficient. This country has the highest rate of cancer and heart disease compared to other countries who ban hundreds of ingredients that we do not! I see this comment was written 2.5 years ago, so I don’t know what your status is with your dog, but I was feeding mine the best quality I thought I could– grain free and raw. But she was still having some issues that the vet could not explain. So I decided to try allergy testing. Turns out she is allergic to three different ingredients in the food (which are natural- barley, goat milk, oats). Allergies don’t always show up like we think. Toxic foods can cause inflammation anywhere in the body. So I modified her diet and added supplements to help with her. Another friend of mine has been able to cut back on her dogs heart murmur medicine because the natural supplements she is taking is helping to stabilize her blood pressure. My dog’s well being and blood work significantly changed as well, and she is doing great for a 15 year old dog! Hope this helps you.

11. JO PLAYER says:

I HAVE RECENTLY USED THE VIRTUES OF ALOE VERA FOR MYSELF AND FOUND IT VERY REWARDING ( I AM 75 YRS OLD)AS I HAVE VERY DRY SKIN.
    I ALSO HAVE A LITTLE WELSH TERRIER WHO IS NOW 30MONTHS OLD AND HAS SUCCUMBE TO THE INHERANT ITCHY SKIN THAT THIS BREED HAVE, I WAS AT THE POINT OF TRYING A LIQUID
    IN THE DOGS WATER,BUT I HESITATED, THINKING THAT IT IS ONE THING TO APPLY EXTERNALLY, BUT TO GIVE SOMETHING INTERNALLY IS QUITE ANOTHER THING. SO I AM VERY PLEASED THAT I
    HAVE READ YOUR ARTICLE. AND WILL CONTINUE WITH FRESH WATER ONLY.
    JMP

12. Alyson Mackenzie says:

Hey, I just wanted to say my 10yr old Staffordshire Bull Terrier has been showing hip & leg problems for a couple of years. She has been back and forth to the Vet but he says its just signs of age! She also gets quite bloated as she is a greedy girl. The Forever Freedom Aloe Gel was recommended to me by a friend so thought I would give it a try. The difference in her after only a few weeks as incredible! She gained her form back and was bounding around no longer in pain! This company is the only one certificated by the Aloe Vera council and their Vet has a book published his name is David Urch. As soon as I ran out of the gel I noticed her go downhill again. Please look into these products as I’m fearful of using them now. Thanks in advance

• Eric Hall says:

What does this “certification” mean? Do they have scientific publications which can document the benefits of said treatment? Otherwise, I am going to say it is confirmation bias.

• Anonymous says:

Her forever freedom aloe Vera also contains glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM. That’s what’s helping her joints. Not aloe vera. I am a veterinarian. It’s a hyped up product that’s very expensive for the ingredients listed in it.

• Maya says:

Hyped up? I don’t know, all.i know is that my 13 year old labrador has tried Rymadil and Metacam, and there was no improvement whatsoever The vet even had to perform a blood test to make sure her organs were in good condition, as these drugs can be harsh and eventually will lead to organ damage. Then I came across the Forever Freedom drink that Alyson mentions and the improvement in my doggy has been amazing, it works without any harmful side effects, unlike the “real” medicines. Of course I understand that animals as well as humans can benefit from Pharmaceutical drugs but if a more natural approach works, it is the best option. And regarding the Forever products, they might be over priced, but so is Rymadil or Metacam when you buy it at the vet’s practice

13. Anonymous says:

If you break an aloe leaf open you notice two things: the center clear/greenish goo (this is what the gel is made from) and around the very edge a white sap (this is the latex the plant produces). The gel is not toxic, but the latex can cause problems. The latex of aloe is considered a purgative ( a substance that empties the intestinal tract usually by inducing diarrhea.) If an animal eats quite a bit of the plant (and it is very bad tasting), you could see mild stomach upset. Severe diarrhea can be life threatening because it can eventually cause dehydration. Any product is unsafe if used incorrectly. So follow the manufacturers recommendations. Again, most of these products have had the toxic principle removed.

14. Peggy says:

I was on Nexium for years because I would get heartburn and had IBS ,for years ,,and I went to a Herbalist which prescient me Aloe Vera for my stomach and my bowels ,,and since I have been on it ,,,I have not had any flare ups with heartburn ,,,,nor any symptoms of IBS ,,,,, no longer taking anything other than Aloe Vera so go herbs !!!!

15. Michelle Scarello says:

I suffered with IBS for a few years and someone told me to try slow vera juice. I took it for a few wks and all my symptoms disappeared. The IBS will come back sometimes after 18 months or so and then intake the jive daily for another few wks and then im fine again. It’s helped me and I have recommended it to others that suffer with IBS and it also worked for them. It also helped one of my dogs when she had a severe attack of colitis.

16. Ashley says:

So scrolling through the comments I can say the poster of the article is not open or willing to listen to people who have had good effect from the aloe Vera gel and juice. Personally when I was pregnant it worked on my heartburn better than anything else the heartburn was cause by the giant baby taking up space in me no other causes it went away when she was born. I also had horrible constipation it helped with that too. I finally pooped and I had been eating so much fruit and vegtables but nothing worked until a few days of aloe juice. I also helped with the morning sickness I started getting towards the last two months I was constantly nauseous likely from all the heartburn and I stopped feeling sick to my stomach after I started drinking the aloe water. My dog had bloody diarrhea and I was freaked out so I gave her some aloe juice and in a couple days it stopped and was solid with no blood I have no clue what she had that caused it likely she stressed herself too much she has extreme separation anxiety and if I’m gone during the day she will get herself hurt trying to get out. It’s not fair of the person posting this article to not consider that maybe science hasn’t studied this enough or maybe they just don’t want to. If it got out that aloe Vera is some sort of cure all from the scientific community they might make it prescription only taking the benifits from everybody. Another benifits of aloe was when my husband cut my hair really badly it was way too short it was not growing fast enough. After I started applying aloe gel to my head I grew my hair past my shoulders in a couple months my hair never grew as fast as that before. I also tried it on my dog who was going bald due to the stress of moving her little chihuahua butt was bald and so was her head. It finally starrted growing back I thought my poor dog was going to be bald forever.

I don’t care to get a negative reply from the articles poster their opinion obviously cannot be changed.

It is an opinion though no matter what sort of lack of studies the try to back it up with. The poster is the type who can’t seem to just let people believe what they see in their own lives and has to try to change their minds because they can’t believe somebody unless they are labeled a scientist or doctor.
    I am no doctor but I nbelieve what I see because it’s evidence to me and I cannot be taken away from me because if know my experience.

• Noah Dillon says:

It usually takes a few days for stuff to work on the digestive tract, since it’s long and it takes time to move food through. What you believe may be the restorative properties of aloe juice might also be, for instance, all the fibrous fruit you ate finally getting to your lower intestine. How do you know that those maladies you’re describing didn’t simply pass because time passed: because you finally got enough fruit, because your dog finally adjusted to its new home, because your dog’s digestive problems resolved on their own, etc?

I’m pretty sure the authors here are open to new information: it’s what this site is dedicated to. But skeptics aren’t usually interested in anecdotes. You can believe whatever you like, but that doesn’t mean there’s any evidence for it in reality. I can believe in gnomes and stuff; that’s just fine, but it’s not true. And if someone else doesn’t believe in gnomes, since there’s no evidence for them, it would be really silly to say that they’re close minded.

I’m pretty sure, too, that most skeptics and doctors of regular old science-based medicine will tell you first to eat a balanced diet with plenty of roughage and fiber. Most people don’t need any kind of medicine if they do that.

17. Charlott says:

Whats with everyone on here being so negative towards someone trying to give credible info?? If you dont like Erics educated opinion take yourself elsewhere… how did you even get onto this page?
    Thanks Eric this page was very helpful and a nice change from all the websites shoving how good aloe is into my face.
    I found this page because I wanted a skeptical view on aloe and was shocked to see all the hate. He never said dont use it. He just gave a more skepitcal published evidence based view on it… which is what your vet would do, because we all spend years training to do that. If you disagree because it works wonders for you thats great, but dont hate on someone trying to do a good thing, trying to help people like me who want info like this.

18. Sandra Botelho says:

Eric Hall in my opinion is correct is leaning toward the side of caution. Many, Many drugs and natural products have caused harm but it took years and thousands of subjects to discover the harm. First the substance comes out a a mirical solution and then years later you hear about the casualties. Or even worst, dogs/people get sick and no one can conclude why. Proven to be effective is what I look for..that is science not hoopla. Why take the chance if your dog is fine? I am now sending a product back to Amazon after discovering it has Aloe Vera juice. I won’t subject my dog to an unknown with “hopes” of her showing signs of better health. The silent internal damage it may cause is not worth the risk. Cancer doesn’t happen overnight. We take all these substances that are unproven and just HOPE it works. We’ll that is not for me! If it is not scientifically proven to do what it clams than it just a bunch of smoke and mirrors to make money. Thanks Eric Hall for your EDUCATED responses!

19. Anonymous says:

I suffer from gastritis and ive found a lot of benefits from aloe inner leaf juice that eith water and lemon juice is all ive needed to change from the recent bout of symptoms and i had relief the day i was drinking it. I just dont get the symptoms while drinking it. Before you get to saying it’s from change of diet its not… i still eat the same foods. i can actually eat more things that used to make me sick like spices when i drink aloe. Its worth every penny to me.
    There is nothing worse than not being able to sleep for 30 hrs due to the vomit feeling. Nothing else seems to work i mean the 100 billion probiotic tablets helped some but the aloe settles it so much i feel good on it. I get to sleep on it and no vomiting nights ever when ive been drinking it

20. Margaret says:

Right here is the perfect blog for everyone who wishes to understand this topic. You understand a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really will need to…HaHa). You certainly put a brand new spin on a subject that has been written about for many years. Great stuff, just great!

21. Mrs Shirley Bateman says:

I have a two year. old ShihTzu and been treating her at our vet, Dr. Pole for 6 months now to keep her from biting, licking.her little less are red and sore and we have tried everything
    Plus lots of money..now losing her hair
    I m so upset if they can’t help her
    We are now on another good again.zd/ science diet.Supscription.dont seem to be helping
    Hoping you can help me..we’ve done the good, shots, pills shampoos.all of it.hete hoping you can help me.she can’t stop itching.please help
    Shirley