Is Water Causing Autism?

As a step-parent of an autistic child, I have taken a long personal interest in all things about autism. I needed to do my own research regarding the raising of my younger children to ensure I did whatever I could to either prevent any harm from the standard care advised for them. After lots of research and discussions with other parents, I have made a frightening discovery. It is possible water could be the culprit in causing autism.

Think about our ancestors. Children in the past nursed well past the point when solid foods were introduced. Children might have been a year or more before ever having water. It is interesting to note that at about 1 year is where people notice children go from being non-autistic to autistic. Yet pediatricians say as young as 6 months is OK. Many parents say even younger. No wonder autism has increased so much.

Look at the chemicals in water. Hydrogen is the same chemical as what was contained in the Hindenburg. It burns very hot. Imagine what hydrogen could do to your cells. Oxygen is also a powerful chemical. It is what causes metals to degrade and in some forms such as ozone can have detrimental health effects even at low concentrations. Both chemicals combine with other chemicals to form acids which can certainly effect the pH of the body. Sounds dangerous to me!

Water can also cause toxicity in too high of an amount. Let’s look at what it is:

Water intoxication, also known as water poisoning or dilutional hyponatremia, is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside safe limits by over-hydration.

If water is able to affect brain functions, I’m not sure how these so called “experts” of medicine (doctors) cannot see this connection. It is like they don’t hear the stories.

Drowning is another dangerous aspect of water. If small children can drown in an inch or two of water in a bucket, who is to say they can’t do the same drinking from a cup? It is one of the leading causes of death in young kids. Even a short time without oxygen can cause brain damage. Is this damage what is triggering autism? I’m just asking questions.

Much of the water we consume today goes through some kind of purification process. Both home filters and reverse osmosis water have a carbon filter stage in them. Carbon, the same chemical in carbon monoxide and gasoline, is used to try to pull impurities out of the water. But no one measures how much carbon ends up back in the water. Does anyone really think consuming parts of gasoline is  healthy?

Commercially filtered water also often goes through a ultraviolet radiation treatment to kill any bacteria in the water, probably because the plants are so dirty. Ultraviolet radiation is the same radiation that causes sunburns and skin cancer, yet big water tries to claim putting this in our water is perfectly safe. Would you want your brain exposed to UV radiation? Not only that, but the dead bacteria is not filtered out of the water, so who knows what that could be doing to the bodies of little children.

Home water often comes from an underground source. The ground contains all sorts of other things like bugs, arsenic, lead, dirt, ions, silica, and many other nasty things. Underground is also where we get things like coal and oil. I don’t know if kids should be consuming water that has been touching all of these things. How much damage have we done by allowing them to drink this water?

Our government in the United States has many regulations on water. They tell us there are safe limits to things being in water, and they tell us water is good for us. But how much should we trust the government? They are the ones that also said they went to the moon, but yet when asked they aren’t able to provide good proof it is true. And since the government is also the one trying to drug us all so we will better obey them, it seems like perhaps their trust in water is actually backwards.

I don’t claim to be an expert, but I think we should all think twice before giving water to our kids. In fact, because of all of the issues caused by water, it could also be causing cancer, MS, lupus, and even allergies and sausage fingers. It should only seem obvious if one does their own research. Don’t go by the experts. Really look at the issue and decide for yourself what’s right. I think you will see your personal story will have a good outcome, despite what the experts might say.

Everyone see what I did there?

About Eric Hall

My day job is teaching physics at the University of Minnesota, Rochester. I write about physics, other sciences, politics, education, and whatever else interests or concerns me. I am always working to be rational and reasonable, and I am always willing to improve my knowledge and change my mind when presented with new evidence.
This entry was posted in Alternative Medicine, Conspiracy Theories, Health, Pseudoscience and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Is Water Causing Autism?

1. Patrick says:

Interesting. I have stopped drinking water as a precaution. I still have concerns about the excess amount of water I already have in my body, which I have been told may be in excess of 70% of my total mass. I fear I may be drowning. In the interests of good health is there a way for those of us eager to take responsibility for our own health to remove this water from our bodies?

• Eric Hall says:

I would suggest speaking to your doctor about it on your next visit – homeopathic doctor of course.

I laughed the entire time I typed the previous sentence.

• Jim Clewell says:

😉

• Torchwood says:

Eric: I think your next article(s) should feature: sex as a cause of ED, testosterone poisoning as a cause global warming, body hair as a cause for cancer,……I could go on forever and would enjoy every single pseudoscience feeding frenzy to the max.

Keep on keeping on! 🙂

2. Kaiya says:

Somebody is going to read this, believe it is the next new thing, and actually try to purge themselves of water. . . . Wow. If only everybody had critical thinking skills.

3. Jim Clewell says:

I believe copulation is the cause! Most parents of children with autism have copulated before conception….. I’m also a firm believer that parents copulating unavoidably leads to the death of children born of pregnancies caused by copulation……

4. Karolyn says:

Don’t knock the effects of flouride.

5. David Matthews says:

You should have posted this on April 1st

6. philkyson says:

Dihydrogen Monoxide

7. Lloyd says:

Seriously! Drink UV. Please tell me this is satire.

8. A Ward says:

Brilliant post, sir. Loved it.

9. Doug says:

So, when some yob stumbles out of the bar and tells you to “Piss off!”, he’s really encouraging you to save yourself by reducing your body-burden of excess water . . .

10. Stephen N, Australia says:

Eric
    regarding “Everyone see what I did there?”, you may need to do a followup to explain it in detail.
    I must admit initial puzzlement, but then enjoyment.

11. marianwhit says:

I am SO gullible…I went through it with that all-too-common sinking feeling…you know, the one where you wake up in a sweat in the middle of the night having dreamed people were coming for you with pitchforks and torches because you dared ask for a credible reference? Excellent!

12. Ergoproxy says:

You sir, win today’s internet

13. David Goodman says:

I was thinking that maybe the salt in sea water will maybe like neutralize the fire capabilities of hydrogen and stop the oxygen from corroding our cells. So I think we should drink sea-water to avoid getting cancer and crabs.

14. ask412 says:

Appreciate the illustration of flawed logic …

Those aware* understand the current level of medical science around autism shows there is not a simplistic solution and due diligence is required^.

” … Really look at the issue and decide for yourself what’s right.” Eric Hall. But add that requires considering experts and those who purport to be.
    _____________
    * http://goo.gl/Zn2uNG
    ^ http://goo.gl/YAvFaP

15. Mike the Martian says:

Eric, brilliant post. I am a 65 year-old with Asperger’s. Of course, I’ve drank water all my life. As of tomorrow, I’m switching to pure alcohol.

16. Lazer says:

This article is plausible. It is scientifically based. It should be followed by all concerned parents. Also, the government should be involved in mandates and regulations. Additionally, we should hire experts like Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy to supervise the program. I’m sure Jim Carrey can take some time out between his numerous visits to the psychiatrist to spearhead this program, and Jenny McCarthy can head up the lab studies as any Playboy Playmate, with a grammar school education, should.

17. RDF says:

Great, loved it, laughed my head off … however … need I mention Thalidomide? Science, while a self-correcting institution of course, doesn’t always get it right, and when it doesn’t, the results can be dire and may have very far-reaching effects. It is a lesson we should at least keep in mind. And in a medical industry with as much industry as medicine, we do need to be careful and cautious. As a poster above pointed out, experts – of any kind – are no substitute for critical thinking.

But I am SO glad I found this article! What a GOD-sent prophet you must be!! You’ve SAVED all our LIVES and I can’t thank you enough!!! I promise I’ll keep up your good work and share this with all 11,942 of my closest friends!!!!! And I’ll remember to think twice before enjoying that second glass of toxic stuff just positively loaded with – gasp! – chemicals!!!!!!? And here I thought it was all-natural and chemical-free!!!!!!!! WE’VE BEEN MISLEAD!!!!!!!!! It’s a national scandal!!!!!!!!! SOMEONE should launch an Inquiry!!!!!!!!!! 😉

18. RDF says:

Yes, I was aware of that actually. But the fact that I didn’t need to mention pregnant women, but you understood precisely to what I was refering, makes my point for me.

This was still a bloody marvelous article! I’m still chuckling. Hmm, does this article contain nitrogen?

19. Arian says:

Yikes! I started to believe this until the last sentence. Hasn’t Brian taught me anything? Embarrassing!

20. Moana says:

As a doctor and a mother of an autistic child, I am sorry, but I find your article to be very misleading. Water is a confounding factor. In reality, I think that tomatoes are the real culprit. Think about it. Not everyone who drinks water develops autism, and yet it is a little recognized fact that virtually every person diagnosed with autism (And cancer!!) has at some stage eaten a tomato or food products contaminated with tomatoes. They come from the same family as the deadly night shades, which by virtue of being part of the Plantae kingdom make them practically in the same family as hemlock, and look how that worked out for Socrates!
    Tomato residue starts being built up in-utero as lipid deposits in the foetus, usually as a result of maternal tomato exposure, with the metabolic products of tomato digestion, such as carbohydrates, being able to cross the placental barrier. Straight to the unborn child!
    Tomato chelation therapy may hold some promise for future research directions.

21. Michael Eaton says:

Holy smokes, Moana! Should I lay off the spaghetti, or is it too late? (An adult Aspie)

22. Sheogorath says:

OMG! Right, that’s it. I’m stopping my partner from breastfeeding our three-month-old daughter immediately. You know, what with human milk containing up to 90% water. 😉

23. RB says:

Funny post : )

You are right about the absurdity of most conclusions people make regarding this stuff. There is a continuum, though – in reacting against the ignorant assumptions of many, we need to be careful not go off the hubris cliff and miss the things science says about water that are legitimate.

There is a researcher at our state university here South Carolina, Susan Richardson, who was a top level EPA researcher for 25 years. Her speciality is water. See some research here: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=susan+richardson&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C41&as_sdtp=&search_plus_one=form

She told me that only a few of the hundreds of DBPs are actually well-studied and regulated. She’s finding correlations between exposure or ingestion of DBPs and several health problems. She has found no connection to autism, but it seems reasonable for the commoner to maybe preempt science and buy a carbon water filter to be on the safe side. That’s the rationale from this organization, which has a scientific board made up of scientists around the country: http://www.autism.com/prevention

Also, I know a pesticide chemist in Sumter, South Carolina, who does assessments on pesticides, and even developed a purportedly safe fungicide for grapes. Except his own pesticides he’s made, he doesn’t allow any on his property, and he only eats organic. He said that they are heinous, and probably cause health problems. Does he have definitive proof? No, just correlational studies he cites and his own experience with making the chemicals. But I don’t need definitive proof to conclude, “You know, maybe we’ll just buy organic while you’re pregnant, honey, and just feed the kids organic in the first few years.”

Do you see what I’m getting at? There’s a balance between inane silly science conspiracies and arrogantly derisive dismissal of all that smacks of mere description or prediction rather than experimental control. So, maybe the water isn’t as dangerous as the ignoramuses say, and simultaneously not as safe as the know-it-alls say.

• Your talking about the precautionary principle which most skeptics advocate. Still despite tons of anecdote and speculation about environmental triggers the research indicates increasingly is proving to be pre birth genetically based disease. Secondly that the areas of the world that have less regulation more pesticides and more environmental toxins have the lowest rate of autism. Finally we know that lowering exposure to a fore mentioned “toxins” like thimerosal has not slowed the increase in autism in any way. Recent studies show that the increase is related to increased awareness and diagnosis. Finally how do you know that the increase in organic pesticides is not the cause if you believe in the environmental hypothesis? Since increasing organic farming tracks nicely with the increase in autism rates.
      I don’t believe that either because I read, follow and evaluate the research both for content an quality.Environmental exposure as a cause just doesn’t hold water. It is not an ideology it is just the way the evidence falls.
      Humans who theorize without a scientific methodology are doing it the wrong way