Deepak Chopra Drinking Game

New Age spiritualism mouthpiece Deepak Chopra will be on the Conan O’Brien show on Wednesday, December 9, 2015. In this tweet, he threatened to attack science “discuss naive realism”:

IMG_6206It seems certain that Chopra will entertain. So I propose a drinking game: take a shot whenever he (1) utters a pseudo-profundity bedazzled with sciencey-sounding buzzwords, or (2) attacks science by dismissing it with a condescending weasel word like “realism” or “materialism”.

The trigger for all this, referenced in Prof. Cox’s tweet, was the November 2015 publication of “On the reception and detection of pseudo-profound bullshit” by Pennycook et. al. in the journal Judgment and Decision Making. A link is here; search the page for occurrences of “Chopra” and you’ll get the idea.

What you choose to drink is up to you, of course. This will be my choice. Not sure why the bottle shown here looks so empty; it was full when I got there.

About Brian Dunning

Science writer Brian Dunning is the host and producer of Skeptoid.
This entry was posted in New Age. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Deepak Chopra Drinking Game

1. Anon Aardvark says:

Conman Chopra

2. MBDK says:

Conan’s guests’ appearances are normally fairly short in their total air-time (5-10 minutes, from my observations), so I believe I could get through the episode on only two or three full bottles.

3. Castiel says:

If you need an antidote to Chopra(t), I can well recommend Prof Brian Cox’s (and Robin Ince) show, The Infinite Monkey Cage on podcast, if you aren’t already listening! Fantastic, funny science debate! =)

4. anne cameron says:

All those words… all those studies… you should have published this for April 1 …it is, in and of itself, a prime example of erudite b******t.
    “Fool me once, shame on you
    Fool me twice, shame on me.”

I enjoyed this article very much. I have a question… why is it these “guru” types stroll, smiling, in a bevy of very impressionable, completely immature and unquestioning “little girl” types? They look like banty roosters with a covey of clucking hens…. Seems to me it’s some kind of attempt to convince themselves they are not fools and losers… how can they be with all these very young women clustered around them… ah well… he’s snickering all the way to the bank…
    This was FUN! Thank you.

5. Rich Murray says:

well, here goes… “Each of us is already always uniquely all of entire single unified creative spontaneous open fractal hyperinfinity…” — ie, complete irreducible mystery… stated in the realm of abstract mathematics, this might well be called the “real line continuum”… it allows an infinity of plausible exact theorems to evolve forever, of which many have been proved by Kurt Godel in about 1930 to be impossible to prove or disprove by any finite exact logical process… the logical foundation for all modern theories of physics… well, I say, for what it’s worth, Deepak Chopra is wise and compassionate…

6. I’m not wasting my good whisky on f-ing Deepak Chopra.

7. Nick says:

Realism is… a bad thing now?!? 😀
    Also +1 for Infinite Monkey Cage!

8. mudguts says:

I just noticed that the label says 54.2% .. A few schooners of that will have you channeling Deepak Chopra..

9. Merely make certain that the coupons which you utilize are updated, you don’t wish to
    work with a discount that’s ended and wind-up paying additional money.

10. David Parker says:

You may be amused by this website. I get a lot of satisfaction from using this URL on Facebook, along with some images that have become handy standards, like Chicken Little, The Tinfoil Hat Zone, etc. The last link in the article reminded me! http://wisdomofchopra.com/

11. Opal says:

Constantly take your coupon binder along with you in case there are
    more items for sale that you simply possess a voucher regarding to
    save cash.