I came across a post on Facebook which is actually pretty dangerous. Not in the normal way I tackle on this blog of people buying useless products or increasing the risk of disease long-term by not getting proper medical treatment, but in a more immediate “please don’t do this ever” sense. The accompanying photo is to the left – as linked from the post on the site Pinterest. The suggestion is to put “1 [tbsp] Vicks Vapor Rub & 2 [tbsp] water in your Scentsy.” Note: Don’t do this!! This led me down the scent/candle/essential oil rabbit hole and I will share a little about the dangers of these practices.
First – don’t put these two things in anything that heats up. These Scentsy warmers are designed to melt scented wax products sold by the Scentsy company. The danger of putting vapor rub in with water and heating it is it can cause splattering (and thus a burn), could potentially start on fire as it evaporates, and is directly against the label directions on the vapor rub. So just don’t do it.