September 23: The Aftermath

As I wrote about a few weeks ago, a group of self-proclaimed prophets, doomsday preppers, and conspiracy theorists proclaimed that “something would happen” at some point in September, 2015—and on September 23rd, specifically.

Nope.

Nope.

As I also wrote about, the majority of the reasons they cited for knowing that “something would happen” were either irrelevant coincidences, such as Pope Francis and President Obama meeting on the same day as Yom Kippur, or completely made up, such as the Large Hadron Collider opening a portal to another dimension and destroying the Earth—or something.

The actual substance of these omens of doom were a goofy mix of scriptural mumbo-jumbo, creative fiction, and “predictions” with no compelling evidence to support them. Typical of what you’d see with September 23rd prophecy was this bundle of nonsense from financial collapse maven Michael Snyder, a figure I’ve written about on Skeptoid before, for his Fukushima fearmongering, and babble about China buying the state of Idaho:

So precisely what will happen on September 23, 2015? Well, we do know that it is Yom Kippur – the most solemn of all the festival days that we find in the Scriptures. September 23rd is also the last day of the summer, and as I have discussed previously, it is when Pope Francis will be arriving at the White House to meet with Barack Obama. Other than that, I do not know of any specific major event that either will or will not happen on that day, but I do believe that September 23rd is going to be extremely significant.

Snyder typifies the tone of September 23rd predictions: too vague to be either meaningful or held against him. Something is going to happen because something is going to happen but maybe something isn’t going to happen.

Other self-proclaimed prophets at least address the day with more specifics, such as this post on ProphecyClub.com from August:

This is a message from the LORD given to Patricia Green on July 29, 2015.

“September 23rd is the day Obama makes a pact with the devil. It was not by chance that the Pope and Obama are meeting on the Day of Atonement. (September 23, 2015) They will make a pact that will seal the fate of the United States of America. My vengeance will be poured out from this point forward. (September 23rd) There is no turning back.”

At least this is something with some kind of detail that can be investigated. Of course, we don’t know if President Obama and Pope Francis sealed a pact with the devil, and maybe they did and we just don’t know about it. But given the absence of evidence for either any such pact or the existence of the devil in general, it’s a safe bet they didn’t.

Nope.

Nope.

ProphecyClub.com chose not to comment on their website about the failure of their prophecy, but their “September 23rd Gift Offer” of a DVD entitled “Fall 2015 Preparations” is still for sale, for the low, low price of $48.

Meanwhile, a July post on the website Intellihub offered “12 things that point to something BIG happening in September 2015”

These “things” were the usual list of religious coincidences and cherry-picked scriptural babble, along with a few new wrinkles, including [sic]:

4. – There’s something in the Jewish religion which is called Shmitah. Rabbi Johnathan Cahn noted that the Shmitah in 2001 caused the stock market collapse at the end of September, and then in 2008 the Shmitah also caused the economy trouble. The next Shmitah happens to be at the end of the 29th day of Elul this September.

7. – There’s a guy in Puerto Rico called Efrain Rodriguez I think who’s saying that a huge meteor will fall near Puerto Rico this September in the Ocean and will cause huge tidal waves that will affect the east coast of the US.
Interestingly, some other people are also reporting about an asteroid or comet on collision course with Earth this September.

9. – Some french politician or scientist said in 2013 that we have 500 days to avoid climate chaos. Coincidentally these 500 days end on September 24.

10. – A very revered Jewish Rabbi has been recently announcing that the return of the Messiah (which we know as the Antichrist) is imminent, and he’s calling all the Jews to migrate to the land of Israel.

Here’s an excerpt from the article:
“When asked about the timing of the Messiah’s arrival, Rabbi Kanievsky answered, “At the end of the Sabbatical year.” Several people have asked the Rabbi to verify this and he has given the same answer each time. This year is the Sabbatical year and it will be ending on the 29th day of Elul, which, by the Gregorian calendar falls on Saturday, September 12, 2015.”

As I wrote about in the previous piece, the economic issues of fall 2001 and 2008 weren’t caused by any Biblical coincidence, but by the September 11th attacks and the real estate bubble bursting, respectively. Cause and effect, not calendar-based coincidence.

Efrain Rodriguez does appear to be a Latin American “seer” who predicted a number of calamities, including 30 million people dying in an asteroid strike—in 2014. He apparently just moved the goalposts and continued spouting nonsense about asteroids, martial law, people eating each other, and so forth.

Also, both September 12, the 29th day of Elul, which was the end of the Shimitah year, and September 24th, which was the deadline for “climate chaos” both passed without incident.

A post on PrepperFortress.com, written by an “Amy S.” laid things out even in starker terms:

“An asteroid or meteor will hit the earth on September 24, 2015 – you have been warned!!!”

It did not, but thanks for the warning.

Another prophecy site, JesusonMyMind.com, laid it out just as clearly, though with a lot more math involved:

Daniel 9:25 seems to have a complex fulfillment with amazingly specific dates, first for the arrival of Jesus on the donkey on March 30, 33 and next with the arrival of Jesus on the clouds in a rapture event on September 23, 2015 possibly simultaneous with the arrival of the Antichrist.

There was no “rapture event” that day, nor did Jesus arrive on the clouds. Unsurprisingly, JesusonMyMind.com doesn’t make mention of their failed prophecy, but does keep the crazy train moving with some babble about September 24th:

You don’t want to be here. Possible beginning of the 458 inclusive days of shortened “great tribulation” with the great deception of an alien invasion supposedly responsible for the disappearance of millions of people to deceive those left behind to follow Obama and Francis rather than to know that it was the Rapture. Pope Francis speaks at Joint Session of Congress, making it the first time any Pope has done so. 500th day (climate chaos) mentioned on March 13, 2014. Revelation 13?

Nope.

Nope.

Needless to say, none of that happened either.

Nor did any of the catastrophes foretold by John Hagee’s “Four Blood Moons” prophecy, such as this:

“God is literally screaming at the world: ‘I’m coming soon.’”

Or this one, from the Biblical Book of Joel:

“‘And I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke. The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come.’”

Or this, from “discoverer of the blood moons phenomenon” Mark Blitz:

“My interpretation is that we have at least another 1,000 years. But I do believe these signs portend major changes, including a possible major war involving Israel and an economic collapse.”

In the aftermath of the Blood Moons, we’ve had no Second Coming, no pillars of smoke, no economic collapse, nothing. In fact, nothing happened at all—except a cool scientific event that produced some neat pictures and probably lots of amazed kids looking at the skies. The rapture was a bust, as they always are, and as they likely always will be.

As with all apocalyptic prophets, expect the purveyors of the September 23/Four Blood Moons theory to do three things in the failure of their warnings:

1. Not acknowledge they were wrong.
2. Shift the date of the rapture based on “new information” they received.
3. Count the money they made off fearful, gullible people.

About Mike Rothschild

Mike Rothschild is a writer and editor based in Pasadena. He writes about scams, conspiracy theories, hoaxes and pop culture fads. He's also a playwright and screenwriter. Follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/rothschildmd.
This entry was posted in Consumer Ripoffs, History, New Age and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to September 23: The Aftermath

1. Paul Carter Block says:

This will continue to run, Mike, because idiocy, commercial evangelical doomsaying and the gullibility they feed on have no off switch.

• DanielWainfleet says:

Mr,Snyder says Sept 23 is the last day of summer.Not on this planet. Well ,who knows where he’s from.

• eric redcalf says:

We now have climate chaos. Its been over 500 days, and yes, have you looked outside? We have more climate chaos that we have ever had in my 53 years. Even the gulf streams are trying to interconnect and that has never happened before to my knowledge. I know you are being paid to debunk, or maybe your related to our masters, either way, will you feel any guilt when we are all gone? Or will it just be relief that you have the planet to yourselves. I may not be the best human to save, but there are some really special people out there you are going to let die because you think your better than them. This is truly the most saddest time on earth.

2. Karolyn says:

The Messiah is not the antichrist. The Messiah is Jesus according to the Bible and even to Jews who do believe Jesus is the son of God and, thus, the Messiah. I don’t know much about Jewish theology, but I believe even Orthodox Jews believe the Messiah is a savior and not the antichrist.

However, I do agree with your article. I wonder what all these people are saying now that nothing has happened.

• Lazer says:

They will say nothing, just like after Y2K, and the destruction of the earth portended by all the evangelists on TV… the thousands that got billions in donations to save souls. These, as well as, all other scammers, will continue to exist in order to make a buck. I can’t believe this world will ever cease to exist… there will always be frauds that continue to fight even death itself.

• Paul Carter Block says:

Karolyn: Actually, only Christians, it seems, believe a “messiah” (or mashiah) to be anything of celestial origin. In Jewish tradition, the messiah was an appointed political and spiritual leader who ideally had to be descended through the male line from David (as was Jesus, according to a couple of Gospel lineages) but did not have to be Jewish if a good candidate stood up. There was the potential for a messiah to be anointed every generation; there may even have existed more than one at the same time. Christianity hijacked the whole “messiah” concept in the way that they did and still do when it suits them. One of many things which Christians have difficulty in accepting is that their faith began as one of many 1st Century CE middle-class Jewish cults and took much of Mithraism as its model. Begging, borrowing and stealing the best or usable bits from other creeds was – and still is – common in all of these whacky supernatural belief systems all the way from cargo cults to fundamentalist Islam. Nice enough Christianity may be when it is not condemning and proselytising or wasting my precious time on my doorstep, it is very far from original.

• sszorin says:

The talk is about the Jewish “Messiah” whom jews wait for and not about Christ.

3. Richard says:

I am willin to have a go with a pseudo prophet in that he will give me the lotto winning numbers..and then and only then i shall become his customer…Ha Ha,, lol..yokes aside..humanity including Enstein Newton, estradamus and mother whiton searched for a door (portal ) to beyond.. with no success to my understanding which does not mean that one day… One day.. such pathway will be discovered and used with bells and whisels..for example calling gonners through your laptop.. with imaginery and all.. cheers.

4. Geoff says:

“some french politician or scientist said in 2013 that we have 500 days to avoid climate chaos. Coincidentally these 500 days end on September 24.”

Check that math.

5. Joe says:

I love this stuff. Seriously, I find the dooms day prophets absolutely fascinating. I gotta start a cult one of these days; there’s multiple revenue streams out there just waiting to be tapped. I’m too lazy though. Oh well. I still love the entertainment.

6. TETRÆSØNIKÄE says:

DON’T REST ON YOUR LAURELS QUITE YET. IT’S LIKE THE SAN ANDREAS FAULT LINE “BIG ONE” IT’S NOT IF- IT’S..WHEN. GO BACK TO YOUR SAFE LITTLE LIVES THINKING “DODGED THAT BULLET”. THAT’S ALL PART OF THE DECEPTIVE PLAN BY THESE MANIPULATIVE ELITE OLIGARCHS WHO ARE JUST GETTING OFF ON HOW MALEABLE & SOMNAMBULISTIC THE AVERAGE SHEEPLE IS! GRAB YOUR F*CK*NG ANKLES & TWEET & FACEBOOK THAT ! WHEN YOU’VE BEEN CAPITULATED ABSOLUTELY AND THE NEW WORLD ORDER IS IN FULL EFFECT- NOT SO G*******D FUNNY IS IT ? GROW SOME BALLS & DROP YOUR F*CK*NG I-PHONE/FACEBOOK B******T & USE YOUR 2nd AMENDMENT RIGHT & END THIS! MILLIONS VS HUNDREDS-THINK WE MIGHT PREVAIL? F-YEAH !

• Noah Dillon says:

Who are you asking us to shoot? It’s cute how you think it’s part of the plot that the supposed plot didn’t materialize. It’s all part of my plan to get rich and retire that I haven’t gotten rich and retired yet. I’m just biding my time until everything falls into place.

• Tom says:

Criminy, it’s loud in here! And think how I must feel….I was going along just fine in my life, secure in the (obviously incorrect) belief, fed to me by Skeptoid, that no evidence existed of alien beings having visited earth and sucking the brains out of a human, when along comes THIS guy!

7. TETRÆSØNIKÄE says:

DON’T YOU SEE THE DECEPTION IN FRONT OF YOU EVERYDAY? WE LIVE IN REDICULOUSLY ABSURD TIMES. RAP MUSIC DOMINATING THE MUSIC CHARTS, HIPSTERS WITH SCRAGGLY BEARDS & GAY A** BUNS IN THEIR HAIR, GUYS WTH SAGGY PANTS/UNDERWEAR SHOWING, PEOPLE GLUED TO THEIR PHONES 24/7 , MIND-NUMBING REALITY SHOWS (KARDASHIANS)? WE ARE NOT DOING WELL FOR THE FIRST PART OF THE 21ST CENTURY! HISTORIANS MAY LOOK BACK ON THIS TIME & LAUGH THEIR F*CK*NG A***S OFF AT HOW MALLEABLE AND GULLIBLE WE WERE- GLORIFIED APES WITH TECH. LOSING TOUCH OF OUR GALACTIC HERITAGE & SUBMITTING OURSELVES TO ANTIQUATED DOGMATIC RITUALS I.E. RELIGION, WE ARE PROBABLY THE LAUGHING STOCK OF COUNTLESS WORLDS OUT THERE IN THE COSMOS. WE ARE REGARDED
    AS THE INFANTILE “UPSTARTS” WHO NEVER QUITE GOT THEIR S**T TOGETHER. NO WONDER OUR GALACTIC FAMILY WON’T MAKE CONTACT ON A MASS SCALE WITH US- WE’RE LIKE THE RELATIVE YOU WISH WOULDN’T SHOW UP AT THE REUNION. WE AS A COLLECTIVITY HAVE THE CHOICE TO MAKE A CHANGE & WAKE THE H**L UP AND GROW UP AS A SPECIES! SADLY,ONLY A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF THE POPULATION IS AWAKE OR GIVES A D**N! WELL I HOPE I REACHED A FEW OF YOU OUT THERE! GOD BLESS !!

• Noah Dillon says:

I don’t understand why I should care about what music is selling the most, especially when no music is selling very well at all. I don’t know why I should care about whether people have beards or not, how people dress, what’s on TV, or whether someone wears a bun. I can’t imagine that aliens would care either. Do you think any alien would look at what’s on TV first? Or be concerned about youth fashion? What trivial nothings to worry about. I also don’t understand what you do want out of humanity: you don’t like the antiquated traditions and you don’t like the individual freedoms that have begun to supplant them.

• TETRÆSØNIKÄE says:

YOU SEEM LIKE SOMEONE WHO IS IN THE SMALL MINORITY OF MINDFUL INDIVIDUALS WHO HASN’T BEEN SWEPT INTO THE CONSTRAINTS OF MODERN MODALITIES. I AM MAKING AN OBSERVATION ON SOCIETY, IN THAT, IT APPEARS A LARGE SLICE OF THE POPULATION IS SO EASILY CONTROLLED INTO DOING THINGS THAT ARE QUITE MIND-NUMBINGLY STUPID. WHY ARE SHOWS LIKE THE KARDASHIANS STILL POPULAR? PEOPLE CAN’T PUT DOWN THEIR PHONES WHILE BEING RUNG UP, OR WHEN THEIR CAR COMES TO A RED LIGHT. WHATEVER IS ON THAT DEVICE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN LIVING IN THE “REAL” WORLD. IT’S DISCONCERTING TO ME THAT THE 21st CENTURY (FIFTEEN YEARS IN!) IS NOT THE WORLD THAT I EXPECTED. MY LIFE WAS FINE IN THE 70s & 80s WITHOUT CELL PHONES

• Noah Dillon says:

How popular is that show? I doubt it rates very high, especially compared to regular network programming. I did a quick Google search and it looks like their ratings have fallen precipitously in the past few months. But that’s not really a very good benchmark for humanity, is it? I mean, despite having that show we continue to make significant advancements in the hard sciences. And violence in the world (despite how it may appear on the nightly news) has dropped, year over year, decade over decade, century over century.

The stuff that you’re complaining about is not really significant and it’s cultural. It’s subject to the kinds of social pressures that are put on people. If more people were pressured not to use their phones so much then they would probably not use their phones so much. We’re figuring out the new etiquette for a new device, just like it took time to figure out how to make the best use of mass printing and radio. The same thing goes for the TV shows people watch and the kind of clothes they wear. No matter what, though, it’s pretty trivial and doesn’t actually affect the way the world works. I know plenty of people, some of them very smart scientists with PhDs, who watch crappy television. It’s just entertainment and you really don’t need to worry about it “controlling” them. Confusing people with the way they’re entertained is really silly.

Just because the world isn’t how you want it to be doesn’t mean that there’s something wrong with it. You can’t expect everyone to act as you wish; it’s like you’re complaining that people are controlled because you’re not the one pulling the strings. And there were plenty of ways for people to be selfish and self-involved in the 1970s and ’80s, and in every era before and since. I guarantee you that if aliens ever visited Earth the last thing they would be interested in or upset about would be our programming and fashions and cell phone customs. Why? Because it doesn’t matter compared to technological advancements and political relations.

I’ve looked at some of your other posts here and I just want to point out that quantum mechanics is totally empirical, not metaphysical. It’s about probabilities and the interactions of subatomic particles. It doesn’t say anything spiritual, it doesn’t say that there’s a common consciousness or some kind of god energy, about the power of positive thinking, about water molecules changing shape, and it doesn’t say anything about aliens. It says stuff about how subatomic particles are likely to behave. That’s it. It’s not magic, it’s mathematics and empirical data.

• TËTRÆSØNÜKÆ says:

NOAH, LET ME PREFACE THIS BY ASKING THAT YOU ALSO NOT COMMENT ON MY USE OF “ALL CAPS” FORMAT. PLEASE REFERENCE MY POST TO DANIEL @ 2:49pm TODAY, THANKS. THE FACT THAT PEOPLE EVEN CARE ABOUT MY USAGE OF UPPER CASE LETTERS..NOW THAT’S TRIVIAL! I LIKE THAT YOU STATED THAT WE ARE FIGURING OUT A NEW ETIQUETTE FOR A NEW DEVICE; THAT’S AN ASTUTE OBSERVATION. YOU ARE CORRECT- IN THE OVERALL SCHEME, MY COMPLAINTS ARE NOT SIGNIFICANT.

• Noah Dillon says:

I would prefer if you fixed your typing problem rather than trying to make excuses for it. Otherwise I don’t really care. And you seem to be talking about it more than anyone else.

• TËTRÆSØNÜKÆ says:

THE WORLD IN WHICH I LIVE IN IS NOT HOW I ENVISIONED IT WOULD BE, YES- BUT, THAT DOES NOT MEAN THERE IS NOT SOMETHING INHERENTLY WRONG WITH IT EITHER. I RATHER FEEL LIKE “NEO” FROM THE MATRIX; THERE IS SOMETHING QUITE ASKEW IN THIS WORLD, WHICH IS ELUSIVE AND PERPLEXING TO ME. I AGREE THE 70s & 80s HAD THEIR SHARE OF DISCO BISCUITS & COKED-OUT YUPPIES, WHO BATHED IN HEDONISM. NOW WITH THE ADVENT OF SPATIALLY GLOBAL NEW-TECH, THESE SAME TYPES IN THE 21st CENTURY (HIPSTERS, NEO-YUPPIES, AND TEENS/MILLENIALS), ARE ABLE TO NETWORK & PROLIFERATE MORE THAN ANY OTHER TIME IN HISTORY!

• Noah Dillon says:

Everyone loves to think they’re Keanu Reeves from that movie. It’s the most over-used metaphor in conspiracy-speak. Dude, young people are always going to be young people and they’re going to always seem completely facile and lame to anyone older with a job. That doesn’t mean the world is getting worse. It just means you and I are getting older. There’s way, way, way more significant things going on than the kids with their skateboards and their text messaging and their rock and roll music. Telecommunications doesn’t make the world worse, it makes it better. You’re using it right now to broadcast an Andy Rooney-type rant. Just because you don’t understand why kids like the things they do doesn’t mean the world is a bad place.

The world is more prosperous, productive, communicative, and peaceful than ever before, despite what you see on the news. If you want to worry about the world being askew, perhaps a more productive thing to address would be global warming, rising inequality, the extension of power, nuclear proliferation, human rights protection, the spread of disease, intrusion of privacy, and cybersecurity. These are serious problems that people are trying to address and making serious gains with, including young people with weird haircuts and sagging pants and Twitter. We could really use your help.

• TËTRÆSØNÜKÆ says:

THESE TYPES ARE BECOMING EVEN MORE SELFISH (“SELFIES”- ANYONE?) AND SELF-INVOLVED! IT’S DISGUSTING HOW SOME PEOPLE(NOTABLY-MILLENIALS) HAVE A “HUBRIS” OF SELF-ENTITLEMENT! I BELIEVE THIS TO BE THE REPERCUSSIONS OF PROLONGED ADDICTION TO MOBILE DEVICES. IF THIS TREND CONTINUES- DIMINISHING ATTENTION SPAN, SOCIAL (PHYSICAL) ALOOFNESS, & OTHER DETRIMENTAL EFFECTS, COULD HAVE DEFINITIVE RAMIFICATIONS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS! DOES ANYONE ALIGN AT ALL WITH WHAT I AM TRYING TO CONVEY HERE? OR AM I A STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND?

• TËTRÆSØNÜKÆ says:

THE ACCUMULATIVE EFFECT OF THIS IN CONJUNCTION WITH SUBCONSCIOUS & PSYCHOLOGICALLY DAMAGING EFFECTS OF TV SHOWS (MIND-NUMBING ONES), NEWS, & SO-CALLED “ENTERTAINMENT” AS YOU PUT IT- I DON’T FIND THAT SILLY AT ALL! WHAT I FIND UNSETTLING IS THAT THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE ARE NOT AWARE, OR JUST DON’T CARE IN THE SLIGHTEST TO WHAT I AM ATTEMPTING TO ILLUSTRATE & SHOULD BE ADDRESSED. YES, THESE SO-CALLED “TRIVIAL” THINGS THAT I “COMPLAIN” ABOUT DON’T SEEM TANGENTIAL TO THE WORLD WE LIVE IN, BUT THE COMPOUNDING EFFECTS OF THE AFOREMENTIONED ISSUES, EXTRAPOLATED INTO THE NEAR FUTURE, ARE IN MY OPINION, QUITE PROBLEMATIC!

• sszorin says:

Quote : “I don’t understand why I should care about what music is selling the most, especially when no music is selling very well at all.”
        You do not understand because you are not fully human, you are a ‘vegetable’, as they say. Atrocious noise which is considered music pollutes the human habitat and putrifies our culture. You do not mind this ?
        Can’t you figure out that music is not selling well because most people are tuning out of audio dung which is played round the clock by the radio stations ? Only on the margins of the music industry one can find good and beautiful music, and it is typically not played and promoted, one has to search for it. [Try this – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZRzto9z6ms ]
        Quote : “I don’t know why I should care about how people dress,… what’s on TV…”
        For you there should be no cultural standards. You would not mind living in a pigsty then. Go and show us. In the other extreme you do not mind that women are not permitted to show their face or hair in public and forced to be shrouded like corpses. You also would not mind pedophiles wearing transparent underwear and pants at the children’s playgrounds. Nazi uniforms too ? Cultural primitives like you are also responsible for the poor standard of what is shown on TV.

• Noah Dillon says:

All kinds of music was previously considered polluting garbage, such as Stravinsky, who is now considered part of the epitome of high culture. Novels were imagined to be the corruption of youth and a sign of increasing misery in the world. Rhythm and blues was “jungle music” and considered noise. Most music from around the world is disparaged as junk by competing cultures. I don’t listen to music I don’t like, but I don’t see much difference between myself and people who listen to other kinds of music.

Music isn’t selling well not because people have stopped listening to music, but because there’s a widespread expectation that cultural products should be free and that artists should not be paid for what they do. This includes classical musicians, jazz musicians, rap musicians, and rock musicians, along with everyone else: writers, fine artists, poets, etc. People stream music with Spotify or Pandora or YouTube. They don’t buy albums or individual songs. Pirated products are downloaded for free. They’re not limited to the few radio stations nearby them because they can access almost all radio stations over the Internet, allowing them to listen to radio around the world.

I don’t particularly like the Gretchen Peters song you shared here, but I certainly wouldn’t call you a vegetable for finding pleasure in it. My grandparents’ generation would have found her music a corruption and violation of good taste, another sign of falling standards. I think it’s just Gretchen Peters making the kind of music that brings her and other people pleasure and I don’t see who could possibly be harmed by it.

I don’t see the correspondence between rock and roll and hijabs or pedophilia or Nazis. It’s a really specious argument. I don’t know why you think I would want any of those, especially when my argument is clearly the opposite. Fundamentalists claim that uncovered women pollute culture. People who enjoy the benefits of liberal democratic societies let women dress as they please. People don’t wear swastikas because they don’t want to associate themselves with horror and racism and genocide. They don’t cover women because they don’t see Western-style dress as an offense against God. We don’t allow pedophiles to go nude at parks because they’re trying to rape children.

There’s an enormous difference between people listening to the music they prefer and a patriarchal subordination of women, between rock music and Nazism, between rap and pedophilia. Those things all remove the rights of other people to act and live freely. Music doesn’t. TV doesn’t. Clothes don’t. People don’t abuse or not abuse children because of the music they listen to, or become Nazis because of the way they dress, or censure women because of what’s on TV. Nazis threaten people and moralize culture. Religious fundamentalists threaten people and moralize culture. Pedophilias perpetrate violence against children. When was the last time a Top 40 hit murdered anyone you know? I think people should be able to dress the way THEY want to dress, not how their husband or a political party forces them to, or any other free speech censor who claims they’re polluting the culture. I think it’s interesting that in the 20th century, as more and more taboos about dress, decorum, and gender roles were violated worldwide, violence fell, more people were free and living in democratic societies, worldwide wealth grew rapidly, women and ethnic minorities gained rights, LGBTQ people gained more and more rights, etc. I think “live and let live” isn’t “cultural primitivism” but actually pretty awesome for making people more free and happy and prosperous and safe. If their t-shirt and rap doesn’t hurt me or anyone else then why should I want to abrogate their freedom?

• DanielWainfleet says:

turn your caps lock off

• TËTRÆSØNÜKÆ says:

HOW IS UPPER CASE LETTERS RELEVANT TO THE DISCUSSIONS AT ALL? I UTILISE A PS3 CONSOLE TO ACCESS THE INTERNET/YOUTUBE ETC…THE CONTROLLER USES L-3 AND “X” BUTTON TO TO RENDER TYPE. THERE IS NO “SHIFT” ON THE CONTROLLER! SO- YA GET ALL CAPS..OR- lower case only.. and as you can see (barely) it’s a bit harder to read, ESPECIALLY ON YOUR PUNY MOBILE DEVICES & LAPTOPS. I AM CONDUCTING THESE CHATS ON A 60″ HD TV, SO I SEE FINE- THOUGHT IT WOULD BE MORE LEGIBLE IN ALL-CAPS, OH WELL..

• Paul Carter Block says:

Good day TËTRÆSØNÜKÆ.
          How is that medication coming along?
          Maybe time to up the dosage.
          Best wishes for a safe re-entry.
          x

• TËTRÆSØNÜKÆ says:

I INVITE ANY STIMULATING RECOURCE- BUT ARE YOU INSINUATING THAT I HAVE SOME SORT OF MENTAL DEFICIENCY? POSSIBLY YOU ARE IN THE “HIPSTER” WANNA FIT IN CROWD- OR.. YOU ARE IN THE OVER EDUCATED ACADEMIA TYPE THAT THINKS YOU ARE “SUPERIOR” BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE DUBIOUS ABILITY TO REGURGITATE SOMEONE ELSE’S THOUGHTS & HYPOTHESIS? MAYBE, INSTEAD OF CHARACTER ASSASINATION AND BLATANT DISREGARD FOR ANOTHER’S PERSONAL EXPRESSION, MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE AN INTROSPECTIVE LOOK WITHIN TO DISCOVER WHY YOU ARE SO DEMONSTRABLY OBTUSE IN YOUR RETORT!!

• MaidInMissouri says:

Dear Tetra-whateverthatis (no offense intended) :

Using all caps mode makes reading your comments more difficult if you, like me, have astigmatism. You lose that part of your audience after the first sentence because tracking a complete thought through all that is not in interesting exercise.

Perhaps there is an alternative you might consider within the limits of your hardware/software. Perhaps make 2 sentence paragraphs? That would be somewhat easier.

Just sayin”…………….

8. TETRÆSØNIKÄE says:

SO I FALL INTO STATE OF COGNITIVE DISSONANCE REGARDING THE MODERN WORLD. I HAVE NEVER BEEN ON FACEBOOK OR TWITTER, OR ANY OF THE SORT; I DON’T EVEN WATCH TV. I SUSPECT THROUGH THESE MEDIUMS THAT THERE MAY BE MK-ULTRA, OR OTHER TYPES OF MIND CONTROL EXERTED UPON SAID INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE ADDICTED ON A MASSIVE SCALE. CALL IT AN ELECTRONIC PANDEMIC, IF YOU WILL..SINCE I DO NOT PARTAKE IN SUCH NONSENSE, I CAN SEE HOW ABSURD IT ALL IS, IN PURE OBJECTIVITY. WHAT I WISH FROM HUMANITY IS A FOCUS ON WHAT WE AS SENTIENT BEINGS, ARE CAPABLE OF; PERSONAL HUMAN TO HUMAN CONTACT, UNFILTERED BY OUR DEVICES. THAT WOULD BE A FIRST STEP TOWARDS A BETTER PLANET !

• Joe says:

I’m an atheist so I’m not concerned with any religion, and I think it’s highly doubtful that we are alone in this universe. But I disagree with your take on tech. I feel the world has been brought closer with each technological advance; certainly we are all more aware of what is happening around us with the advent of the Internet & social media. Sure there’s more junk (“reality” tv) but there’s more choices, more information & more accountability. Pros & cons I know, but overall it’s positive. And if there’s aliens out there so what? I’ll work with the world we live in & until a supernatural being comes here to introduce him/herself I’m not gonna worry about it too much.

• TËTRÆSØNIKÅË says:

AS AN ATHEIST YOU ALIGN YOURSELF WITHIN THE PARAMETERS OF SCIENCE, WHICH OFFERS ANSWERS BASED ON EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE. RELIGION I FIND TO BE ANTIQUATED DOGMATIC RITUAL BASED ON WRITINGS WHICH HAVE BEEN ALTERED, TRANSLATED, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY- PLAGIARISED. IT’S VERY OPEN MINDED OF AN ATHEIST TO CONSIDER EXTRA PLANENTARY LIFE; THE DRAKE EQUATION MAY HAVE HELPED. ADVANCED BEINGS FROM ANOTHER GALAXY, OR EVEN DIMENSION ARE NO MORE ÜBER NATURAL, THAN SAY THE LANDING OF A VTOL JET TO INDIGENOUS TRIBES (WHEREVER) IN THE PRESENT.

• sszorin says:

Since no extraterrestrial being “came here to introduce themselves” then it means they do not exist.

9. TËTRÆSØNIKÅË says:

SPIRITUALITY IS ANOTHER MATTER. CONSIDER THIS: ENERGY CANNOT BE CREATED NOR DESTROYED, ONLY TRANSFORMED. THINK OF THIS WHEN CONTEMPLATING THE EXISTENCE OF THE SOUL OR GOD; WHICH I CALL UNIVERSAL COLLECTIVE (ENERGY). WITH THE ADVENT OF QUANTUM PHYSICS, THE LINE BETWEEN SCIENCE & METAPHYSICAL IDEOLOGY, IS BLURRING. WHEN I WAS A CHILD, IN A SMALL RURAL TOWN, I HAD A “CLOSE ENCOUNTER” WITH A SHIP. IT WAS LARGE, SILENT, WINDOWLESS, SILVER AND SAUCER SHAPED. AFTER THAT EXPERIENCE, ESPECIALLY NOW AS AN ADULT, AS I OBSERVE CURRENT STATE OF AFFAIRS, I HAVE AN IMMEDIATE REACTION. HENCE, MY SARDONIC RANT EARLIER. YES OUR GALACTIC LINEAGE IS VERY IMPORTANT, INDEED…

• Please hit your caps lock button your in ALL CAPS for what reason IDK. All I have to say is Wha? What the flippin heck does that have to do with a false prediction about the end of the world. Which Mike predicted would be BS and therefore is…. since we are all here typing lol

10. Torchwood says:

On Sept 23 Blood Moon I eagerly awaited the eclipse. It rained.

I didn’t know about all that other stuff, but apparently it got rained out too.

11. Dwight E. Howell says:

In the international game of Realpolitik there have been winners and losers. Obama may be to egocentric to get it but he’s been pretty much used as a door mat by Putin & China. America has not been this discredited or denigrated since the 1800s. The long range international consequences of his sublime failures is changing the world we live in forever and not for the better if you value human rights, or hope for a bright future for your country. If you don’t like where you live I’d like to know where you expect to move that won’t kick you back out. Russia & China play by their rules.

• mudguts says:

I am not going to say.. Move to Australia.. well maybe if you are rolling in mula and want to spend it..

The USA in a bind? This sort of happens when economies shift. Don’t blame your president for being the lead bod of a country that is experiencing its economy moving away. I’d much rather blame a prior president/admin of the USA for missing the ball on a lot of issues.

As to predictive apocalypticism (a non entity); theres never been a psychic nor a prophet who has been consistently correct past retrospectivity and we are scratching to find one who has actually ever come up with the goods.

Maybe if one just concentrated on the weather…

On a very serious note, we have granny scarers prowling the internet for money from scared grannies using the christian version of apocalypticism (a U calgary word methinx) and we have a number of apocalypic sects and political parties at war with each other in the middle east.

Just goes to show.. if you are waiting for the return of a sea monster and are willing to decry refugees or assist the sea monster and bolster your views with the predictions from dolts.. you are the one with problems.

Aint no such thing as sea monsters/aliens/psychics or reliable idiots.

Theys all the same…

12. ATM says:

ACTUARY – (n.) 1550s, registrar, clerk,” from Latin actuarius
    copyist, account-keeper,” from actus public enterprise”
    (see act (n.)). Trendy insurance coverage workplace which means first recorded 1849.