A Ghost Upon the Stair…

It seems that a paranormal research group, Sefton Paranormal Investigations, claim to have recorded a video of a ghost upon a staircase at Stanley Palace in Chester, Cheshire, England. Have they finally, at long last, captured the elusive proof of ghosts I have longed for? Let’s take a look.

Detail of a screen capture from a YouTube video of a possible ghost at Stanley Palace.

This report came to me via both the Mirror and the Chester Chronicle. They both share the video via their own sites, but you can also view it here on Youtube.

Take a look at the video.

Here are some screenshots I took off of the YouTube video:

This shot shows the scene prior to the apparition.

StaircaseGhostCap2

This is the apparition in question. I like the helpful “Look here” marker, by the way. I added the red circle. This is the best view of the apparition I could find in the segment.

I’m not convinced that the image is that of a specter. A few things come to mind as I viewed the video.

First, this video is running at ¼ speed. The image is on screen for maybe a second, in real time. Second, the camera is either in an infrared (IR) mode or a very-low-light mode. I’m leaning towards IR. Note the dust motes around the camera, and how bright they are when they angle just right to reflect back the light source. Third, the image is very indistinct, even at full screen sizes.

StaircaseGhostCap3

This is the biggest I could get it.

Alas, I don’t think we’ve found our proof. There’s just not enough to go on here, the only honest answer is that I don’t know what’s in the video. I can, however, speculate.

With the slowed down playback, the dust and lighting conditions, and the blurry, blobby image, this is set up to be ripe for pareidolia. There’s no good way to tell how close or far the image is. It could be very close to the lens or behind the stair rail. While there are some superficial similarities to a human-like form, it is important to note that this form, faces in particular, are the single most easily recognized, and misidentified, pattern our brains can handle. We can see faces in random noise or anything else, or nearly so.

It can be a bit creepy, though, that blown up image—like glowing eyes joined together, staring out of the screen. Best I wrap this up and clear the images from my monitors. What do you think this is? I would love to hear y’all’s thoughts.

Be well.

About Mike Weaver

Husband, father, skeptic, technologist, motorcyclist, hunter, outdoors-man, and evil genius. I am formally trained in computer science, physics, mathematics, and emergency medicine (paramedic, former).
This entry was posted in Paranormal and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to A Ghost Upon the Stair…

1. Matt Yearian says:

Ghost duck!!!

2. Jt Rentvv says:

Looks to me like an intern with a “witty saying” T-shirt. Or reflection thereof.

• Mike Weaver says:

That’s actually a good observation, wonder if there was something there which could reflect an image…

3. Martin Friedrich says:

The quality of this video has the typical fingerprint of a “real” ghost video. Shot not by a 3 year old, but a “research group” using a camera that would make a potato look like a better device to record footage with. To further account for quality it always helps to put the camera on a washing machine in spin cycle rather than a tripod or a steady object. Add some moving light from a busy road or other light source nearby, carefully seep through the recordings and hunt for anomalies. Find something that looks inexplicable without providing any other parameters of the “research” to the audience? Yes, therefore it must be a ghost.

I’m glad that real science like the Rosetta mission can provide better quality imagery of a comet 1,950 km away from its camera and send it another 800 million km to my computer screen.

4. Vere Nekoninda says:

What is the halo of light that envelops one of the (possibly) human figures in the video from roughly the 24-30 second marks? It hard to be sure of anything in this hand-held, fuzzy video, with resolution reminiscent of a low-end 1994 VHS camcorder. Either that figure is holding a light source, or they are holding some highly reflective object, like a mirror, briefly reflecting light back at the camera, from a light source that is mounted on/near the camera. I suspect it is a reflector, rather than a light source. You can see them manipulate some flat, fairly rectangular object held in the right hand. The manipulation looks fairly deliberate and perhaps even rehearsed, but they may have just been doing something normal for this object. As Mike speculates, the light source may be IR.

To me, the “ghost” looks a lot like text on TV screen. Or maybe on an iPad or computer screen. Like the closing credits of a sitcom, with a person or other object behind the text. The words appear to change, as credits might. Or maybe the ghost is trying on various message-bearing t-shirts. I’m not sure how the camera would briefly pick up the reflected image of a TV, tablet, or computer screen, but it’s interesting that the ghost disappears right before the hand-held object flashes the camera. Might the ghost have been generated by that hand-held object, reflecting off something else?

5. Bugsy says:

bumpkiss

6. sherzlich says:

There are no ghosts!

7. Brad says:

The Elephant in the room is: what’s up with all the crud floating around in the air?! Of course one can see what ever you want.